Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I'm too young for poltics: Ameesha


The news that NCP is all set to field Ameesha Patel in Rajkot, got many curious. And in the list is the Bollywood star herself! The actorclarified to CT that she isn’t plunging into politics just yet, though it’s definitely on the cards for the future.

In between shots on Sunday afternoon, the actor said, “Numerous parties have approached me to contest the elections. And this is not the first time that such a thing has happened. But once and for all, I want to clarify that I’m not getting into politics right now. I don’t know who has been giving such confirmations, but the news is anything but true. I need to make my stand clear officially.”

There’s no smoke without fire and the actor knows that only too well. It’s a fact well-known that Ameesha’s grandfather, Barrister Rajni Patel was the Congress Committee President of Mumbai. “Maybe, it’s my family’s association with politics that gets the rumour mills working overtime.” She’s quick to add that she was the favourite grandchild and still has fond memories of her grandfather. “He wasn’t around when the other grandchildren were growing up. Maybe, it’s my
association with him that fuels such rumours,” the sultry siren gets chirpy.

And while Bollywood’s political connect gets stronger by the day, Ameesha adds that she too, isn’t ruling out politics. “Getting into politics will be a natural process. In future, maybe I will take up politics. But the time’s not ripe. Don’t you feel I’m too young to take a decision like that at this point of time?” Agreed. The actor is now busy with her career in films, and feels that she cannot do a perfect balancing act. “Politics isn’t easy. It takes up a lot of time. You cannot make a half-hearted attempt at it. It’s a full-time job. When I feel I’ll be able to devote all my time to it, I’ll take the plunge”. Contrary to popular opinion, the actor holds nothing against politics. “When I know my services will benefit the country, I’ll take it up as a challenge and prove my mettle”.

Ask her whether she’d like to play a politician on reel on a trial basis, and she’s quick to quip, “I’m open to any and every role, provided it’s interesting. Right now, I’m working on back-to-back films.” Dealing with rumours — romantic and now, political — must be a tough job, but Ameesha says that by now, she has got used to it. “That’s the flipside of being in the public eye. If you ask me frankly, then I would say, there’s no harm in it.”The director calls, and Ameesha is off for her stint before the camera. The transition from reel to real will take some more time and she promises to measure each step she takes.

No comments: