Monday, February 23, 2009

Rahman nervous before Oscars, finally left it to God


Los Angeles: As AR Rahman held the Oscars for best original score and for best original song Jai Ho for his work on Slumdog Millionaire during the 81st Academy Awards at the Kodak Theatre, there were many who were not present there but felt cheer for someone who they had worked with before.
One such person was celebrated adman cum lyricist Prasoon Joshi.
"I am completely freaked and so thrilled that I feel like I have won it myself. I am in the US and I spoke to him last night and we spoke for a long time. I tried to know how he was feeling and whether he was nervous. I did sense that he was nervous and all of us prayed for him I told him that he had always believed in doing his work and forgetting about the rest to which he replied in the affirmative," said Joshi.
Prasoon Joshi has penned the lyrics to Rahman's composition in Delhi 6 was elated at Rahma's Oscars haul.
"As for my belief, I think this is not his best work, he has done much better work in the past. You know, right now I am in a gathering where people are asking me about the film Slumdog Millionaire and the body of work Rahman has done apart from this film and details on how they can obtain his earlier work. So I think that this win at the Oscars will inspire people to look at other pieces of work that Rahman has done," Joshi said.
Loveleen Tandon, the Assistant Director of the film Slumdog Millionaire is elated over the Best film award and the Best Director award that the film won at the Oscars.
Loveleen had accompanied the kids, some of whom came from slums of Mumbai's Dharavi, to the celebrated Oscars gala in Los Angeles.
Speaking to CNN-IBN, Loveleen Tandon said, "The most special thing is that the kids could come and they are all here. It is really like the fairy tale that the film is. That is really the journey that the film has had and the journey that the kids have had. It is fantastic. It has really made my day to be with them and to see the sparkle in their eyes."
It was not just the joy in the kids' eyes that satiated Loveleen's heart she said.
"People have been just walking up to us, especially to the child actors and congratulating them. People are so moved by all that we do not need any introduction anymore. You know Brad Pitt stood up and the moment he saw the kids walk out, he started clapping and he made the way for us as I was taking the kids on the stage and kept clapping while looking at the young ones. That is incredible," said a very touched Loveleen.
She had been responsible for the casting of the kids in appropriate manner for the film.
Actor Irrfan Khan who plays a role in Slumdog Millionaire was elated too.
"It is a very proud moment for all of us This award is going to change the relation between the Indian cinema and Hollywood. Now our music, our films will be played in every household," said Khan.

No comments: